After investing in your new tattoo, you’ll want to keep it looking fresh and vibrant for as long as possible. Here are a few tips on keeping your art alive for many years to come.
This is a guide only and not meant to replace medical advice.
When You Return Home From Your Tattoo Session:
If not using Saniderm
- Wash your hands and remove the protective covering. Clean the area with warm water. If you require soap, use a brand that is mild and alcohol and scent-free.
- Apply a thin layer of aftercare cream*.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 3 times a day until the tattoo has healed (2-6 weeks, depending on the individual and quality of aftercare treatment).
If you’d prefer to switch to a different moisturiser, use a natural type (e.g. cocoa butter) after at least 5 days of using aftercare cream.
* A free sachet of After Inked®** cream is provided in your gift bag if you’re a first-time customer.
75ml tubes can be bought in-store for £15 (subject to availability).
** After Inked® is a reputable brand of aftercare cream that is free from harmful chemicals, uses natural ingredients and is vegan-friendly.
- Keep the area clean and aerated as much as possible.
- Wear loose clothing to avoid garments sticking to the tattoo.
- Wear loose pyjamas that cover the tattoo when sleeping. If it sticks the following morning, soak the garment (or shower) under warm water so it can be removed safely and with minimal damage.
- Your tattoo will become itchy while it heals. Do not scratch. Either pat the area or apply a cold compress to soothe the itching.
- After healing, always use sun cream (minimum 30SPF, ideally 50SPF) when your tattoo is exposed.
- Keep the area clean and moisturised to reduce the formation of scabs.
- Bathing for 24 hours after getting the tattoo.
- Swimming/sunbathing/hot baths or showers/waxing/using saunas or steam rooms until the tattoo is completely healed.
- Submersing the tattooed area under water or letting water run directly on it.
- Strenuous exercise that would cause excessive sweating (thus clogging of pores).
- Using scrubs/towels/loofas on the tattooed area whilst washing. Only use your hand and warm water (optional: mild, scent and alcohol-free soap).
Signs of Infection
If appropriate aftercare is not followed infection may occur. The signs of infection are:
- Swelling and redness that increases around the tattoo.
- A severe burning and throbbing sensation round the site.
- Increased tenderness and increasingly painful to touch.
- An unusual discharge (yellow or green) with an offensive smell.
Speak to me and seek medical attention immediately if you suffer from any of the above or have any concerns regarding infection in your tattoo or if there are any signs of an allergic reaction to any of the products used.